Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Christmas, my love

I love Christmas. The manger. The lights. The tree. The food. The gifts. The tree.

Did I mention the tree?

So I have a confession to make.
I still have up my Christmas tree. I still have up all 3 of my Christmas trees.

I know. I know. Its January 7th. But I had a belated Christmas gathering last Saturday night and really wanted my friends to see them! But that was almost 4 days ago and they are still up. And there is no definite schedule for getting them taken down.

Tonight as I sat grading some math tests (I know. Such an exciting life ;), I sat by the light of the tree. It is beautiful. 9 feet tall. Over 1,500 lights. And more than 300 ornaments. All different.

I collect ornaments. Each one tells a story. From pre-kid weekend get-aways to Tybee Island, to bad perm 1980's school pictures in popsicle stick frames. I love the memories that each one holds. They are all special to me and I treasure each one. When I'm forced to finally put away the tree I feel sad because I feel as though I'm boxing up these memories. Putting them in the attic is like out of sight, out of mind. I don't have the daily reminder of the magic of the past and all the fun that we've had. I'm tearing up as I write this! (I know. I'm a Christmas nerd!)

Although the thought of putting away the tree does make me sad, I'm reminded of a scripture from God's word.
John 10:10b says "I came that they may have life, and have it abundantly." Christ Jesus came to that manger, so that every day I could have an abundant life. So that every day I could have joy and that I could enjoy life here on earth. So that I could have Christmas every day. 

This year I will choose joy, because that why He came. That's why I celebrate my most favorite holiday, Christmas. 

And for all my OCD friends that are cringing at the fact that my trees are still up, they will come down some day soon. Just not today.

With joy,
Mama Dot




No comments:

Post a Comment