Wednesday, February 5, 2014

Living a Deliberate Life

Hi.

My name is Kathie.

And I'm behind on my blog.

It has been 22 days since my last post. 

The night that I began this blog, I was slightly delusional. I thought that somehow I could manage to fit this blogging thing into my already jam-packing, brimming over, schedule to death lives. 

Ok. Maybe I was totally delusional. 

For the record, I REALLY enjoy writing. I'm just finding it hard finding the time. Let me rephrase that. Scheduling the time. My Aunt Marilyn told me once that saying you need me than 24 hours in a day was an insult to God. Lol. Im sure then I've insulted him many times the past few years. 

How did life get so busy that we cant even enjoy doing the things we love or dare to discover new things we will love if we just gave them the time needed to blossom? Question of the Decade.

So I decided to give up one of the things that has consumed many hours of mine over the last few years. And no, Im not talking about cleaning. (I gave that up a long time ago ;)

Facebook.

Now, for you facebook junkies (aka Mom), this is not about how fb is bad or how you should get off of it. This is just a personal revelation that I have had. In fact, I'm going to post this blog to fb as soon as I finish. No one would probably ever see it if I don't!

A few weeks ago I realized that as I spent countless hours perusing fb I was spending more time peering into other people's lives then my own. I was looking at photos of other people's kids, while my kids played right in front of me. I was reading about my friend's day and not reading my bible. I was getting anxious about drama that I have ZERO connection to, but not worrying about matters that need to be addressed in my own life (like that pile of clean clothes). While I don't think facebook inherently is bad, its like all things in our life. When we allow them to take precedent over things that really matter, eternal things, family things, friends (real-life ones) then we have elevated their importance above all else.

Now, I know what you are thinking. "You hypocrite! You are taking time from all of those things to write this blog too!" 

But no. I'm not. Well maybe that pile of clothes.

The problem with facebook for me was the accessibility of it. And my habitual pattern of checking it on my phone. In the car. On the couch. At the lunch table, dinner table, breakfast table. You get the idea. This blogging thing is different. Its deliberate. Its scheduled. And that makes a big difference for me. 

This year I have decided to be more deliberate in my life. Im going to tell the people around me how much I love and appreciate them. Im going to send cards. Im going to make dinner and have friends over. Im going to watch my kids play. Im going to talk to my neighbors. Im going to read my bible more. Stop and pray more. And say No more. Im going to give Jesus all that I have. Starting with more time. So in my quest to be more deliberate, Im going to commit to blog more. At least once a week. I enjoy it and whether or not anyone reads it, well that's up to you. But even if no one does, I'll still do it and hope I inspire, touch, motivate someone somewhere. 

And I may even get around to folding those clothes.


"Seek ye first the kingdom of God and His righteousness and all these things shall be added unto you". Matthew 6:33

1 comment: