Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Worlds okayest mom

So have any of you moms every had a bad case of mommy guilt? 

You know, like when you're trying to get your toddler to go to sleep and you let them cry it out. Only to go in after 30 minutes to discover they have puked all over the crib and themselves??? 

Yes. I totally did that. 

I remember a day last year that left me with some serious mommy guilt. 

My daughter had been complaining of a toothache for about two weeks. Everytime I looked in her mouth I couldn't see anything. So I told her she just needed to brush better and floss in that spot. 

It had been a doozie of a day teaching school. I was stressed and frustrated with the world. When she complained again, I threatened to take her to the denstist. I know. Horrible right?!? Then I asked her to bring me a flashlight. When the light hit her tooth... 

Oh. My. Goodness. 

A huge hole in her molar. I screamed for Daddy and he was able to clean out all of the gunk that had been collecting for two weeks. I called the dentist and they worked us in the next day. The dentist was able to cap her tooth. She had broken her molar a few weeks earlier crunching on popcorn. I spent the next few days telling her how sorry I was that I hadn't looked closer, sooner. I had a serious case of mommy guilt. How could I have let her tooth get that bad? 

Has anyone out there ever felt that way? Most moms I know have. We try our best every day and still there are things that get by us.

I saw I this mug on Pinterest and just loved it. 


Being an okay mom is okay.  

Even doing the best we can, we sometimes fall short. But that's ok.  I truly believe doing our best for our kiddos is all they need.

We need to give ourselves a break. And give other moms a break. Some days are spectacular. Rainbows and all smiles. And some days... well, aren't. 

And on those days, as long as we are doing our best, we can proudly be the world's okayest mom. 



4 comments:

  1. I do at least one thing everyday that make me feel that way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me too Michelle!! You're a great mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've done the crying toddler in the crib to find puke later - only the crying was the middle of the night and the puke was found the next morning. Total mommy guilt on that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bethany- I'm so glad I'm not alone!! You are an awesome mama too!!!

    ReplyDelete